Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Let the brewing begin!

      Beer is one of the greatest inventions, but for me having microbrewery beer just was not enough. Sure there are many great beers out there, some of which I will discuss later, but for me I always wanted to experiment creating a brew that I can call my own, and pride myself with it.

      After having the idea of making beer brewing in my head for a while, I found out that there is a Home Brew Shop right here in the beautiful Chico, California. I was looking at equipment and asking questions as soon as I got into the shop, another customer saw my want, as well as a confused look in my eyes and left me with a piece of advice that was enough to kick start my hobby; His words were simple: "Just do it, that's the only way to go."  I walked out with a kit and some ingredients, I will start talking about the kit, and then we will get into the actual brewing process!
 
      My kit:
     
          The kit came with the ferminator (the big white bucket in the picture), 2 thermometers, a stick on and a stick (temperatures are crucial in the world of brewing), an airlock (the container looking thing the picture in front of the book), a bottle brush, a tube, a spicket , some bottle caps and a bottle capper. My kit cost me 58 dollars all together, which is a fair price for a starter kit. The pink pack (yeast), the bag with the hops, iodophor for sanitation and corn sugar in the picture were all purchased, they do not come with the kit.
     
As you can see the kit for brewing does not take much space, so even if you are in a studio or a small apartment, you can still brew! My next blog will go into detail about making my first brew, I hope you enjoyed this post, please ask any questions you may have for me, and check up on my blog, since I will be adding and updating often!


No comments:

Post a Comment